Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help with Shay Measurements

September 21, 2014 10:46PM avatar
First off, does anybody know exactly which prototype Bachmann used to build their 1:20.3 2 truck shay. The first one that they released. The measurements to me seem to come close to a class 42 but if it is the Ely Thomas as mine was lettered, then its a 36 tonner per Lima spec.

Any way, I have been doing tons of photographic research to build some On3 shays out of my kemtron kits to make some more modern ones because I have several now that are more or less finished as the kit was produced. The rest are going to get new boilers, cabs and bunkers and wider fire boxes and space the frames out to make class 42 shays and maybe I might do a 36 depending on its measurements.

I plan to build at least 2 maybe all three of the last 3 Manns Creek Railway shays. The big unique #8 is a late model 42 that looks so much bigger but per lima specs has the same boiler size. This later boiler however has the steam pipe coming from the dome and sloping 50deg back to the cylinders and right behind the dome, the top of the boiler slopes down toward the backhead. This is per the design of this boiler type, all of them of this type sloped down a couple inches toward the back head.

Does anybody know if the width of the boiler from the cab to the steam dome was the same or if the sides tapered along with the visible slope on the top?

Second, does anybody have any drawings or measurements for a 36-2 or a 42-2?

There are a few 36s and 42s left around, wish I could travel to them to take measurements.

If you have ever documented any of the following locos, or if you live or are close by any of them I would love some assistance with a few measurements. Especially the 36s.

Surviving 36s
picayune MS
Ely thomas 36 ton Green bay WI
Mid Continent Railway Museum, North Freedom WI

Survivng 42 ton

sn-2933 LA Paz Boliva
sn-2932 La Paz Boliva
sn-2769 Columbia Falls Montana
sn-2548 Alberni Valley Msueum Port Alberni BC Canada
sn-2490 Veronia OR city park
sn-2475 Forest Discovery Center Duncan BC Canada
sn-2449 Buena Vista Station Mexico City
sn-2317 Steamtown Scranton PA
sn-2257 Colon Chile
sn-2172 world Forestry Center Portland OR

I am collaborating with someone on this project and we are going to be producing all the wider parts as brass castings that will be available through him later to convert a kemtron 37-2 into a 42-2 along with what I have on the boilers measurements provided to me by Grandtline.

Regards all
Rich Johnson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2014 10:53PM by Rich Johnson.
Subject Author Posted

Help with Shay Measurements

Rich Johnson September 21, 2014 10:46PM

Re: Help with Shay Measurements

Mike Stillwell September 22, 2014 07:35AM

Rich Johnson September 22, 2014 08:05AM

Mike Stillwell September 22, 2014 08:23AM

Mike Stillwell September 24, 2014 06:07PM

Earl September 22, 2014 09:09AM

Rich Johnson September 22, 2014 09:35AM

Re: Help with Shay Measurements Attachments

jgunning September 23, 2014 09:03AM

Dan Robirds September 23, 2014 09:36AM

Rich Johnson September 23, 2014 01:39PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login