Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

EBT Tourist vs. In Service Paint

September 17, 2014 07:44PM
Dave Peterson's thread about what locomotives might still be in their original paint from "regular service" days got me thinking about the EBT. I ran a series of charters there starting in 2001 and used Nos. 14, 15, and 17 on those charters. The photos haven't been widely published and I thought they might be of interest here.

Here is No. 17 sitting in front of the station at Orbisonia in October 2001. We got all the tourist paint on this one except the cab roof. It does look good in red, but the in-service color was black. We would have painted the roof too, but the late Stanley Hall wasn't so sure about the band of crazies wanting to paint his locos. As we got to know Stanley and the checks cashed, he eventually let us paint everything. I would judge that most of the paint on this loco pre-dated the 1956 cessation of service. It has been touched up, but most of the paint is original.

6x7-EBT-#17-at-Orbisonia-Station--10-15-01.jpg

Here is No. 17 Northbound out of Orbisonia-October 15, 2001

6x7-EBT-#17-Nbnd-Orbisonia--10-15-01.jpg

Here is what the EBT mikes looked like in tourist paint. Way too gaudy for my taste.

EBT-No.-15-in-tourist-paint.jpg

Partway into it's restoration to the "In Service" look. My friend Dave works on the boiler bands. Black gaffers tape was used to cover them as Stanley didn't want us to paint them.

Dave-working-on-the-boiler-bands-EBT.jpg

Of course for the charter, the weather turned bad. The next day No. 15 replicates a classic Phil Hastings photo of the EBT.

EBT-No.-15-passing-caboose-at-Orbisonia.jpg

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2014 09:45PM by jgunning.
Subject Author Posted

EBT Tourist vs. In Service Paint Attachments

jgunning September 17, 2014 07:44PM

Re: EBT Tourist vs. In Service Paint

philip.marshall September 17, 2014 07:51PM

Chris Walker September 18, 2014 12:13AM

CS BROWN September 18, 2014 01:27PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login