Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Economics of restoring a locomotive

August 18, 2014 11:53PM
The one thing that stops a lot of restoration of old locomotives is the perceived cost of doing so. The talk about the 169 is a prime example. It does cost money and lots of it. However, some of the figures I have seen thrown about are downright huge and from my experience unreasonable.

In restoring Eureka, I took it one component at a time and paid for the material as I went along. The biggest expense is labor. But I did most of that myself. Everything else is comparatively reasonable. If skilled volunteer labor is available that is the main thing. If donations of equipment and material can be had, then that takes care of another relatively big item. But, none of it is impossible. Gads! if a backyard hon yock like me can do it so can others. And they have.

Now if you are lucky to get the project done,(and you must really be dedicated to do it) what are you going to do with it? Lots of folks think a fortune can be made from restoring a historic piece. Not so. You have to do the project for the love of it. It is like having a boat or an airplane. They too are not rational economic items. What can be done is to hopefully make expenses such as cost of transportation and insurance. These historic artifacts are run on a very limited basis and therefore are not continual revenue makers. However, with videos, and other stuff, that can provide some modest revenue.

So if anyone is inclined to restore an historic locomotive of modest size, then have at it. It is an adventure of a lifetime, a lot of hard work, but it can be done. But ya gotta start and not be frightened by some of the wild prices thrown around. Unless you have cubic bucks, hiring someone to do the job will usually kill the project before it gets started.

My 2 cents.

Dan Markoff
Subject Author Posted

Economics of restoring a locomotive

Dan Markoff August 18, 2014 11:53PM

Re: Economics of restoring a locomotive

snowtownbob August 19, 2014 01:29AM

Stewart Rhine August 19, 2014 06:09AM

JoeK August 19, 2014 11:37AM

jrmay August 19, 2014 08:41AM

Dan Markoff August 19, 2014 01:07PM

jrmay August 19, 2014 02:51PM

Ted miles August 19, 2014 10:40AM

HighCommander August 19, 2014 11:19AM

rehunn August 19, 2014 12:39PM

Randy Hees August 19, 2014 07:41PM

AZfarmer August 20, 2014 12:20AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login