Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Help, please -- with Baldwin 8-18C lokes.

RCW
June 28, 2014 06:31PM
Andrew Brandon Wrote:
=======================================================
> George,
>
> Yes, the hangers attach to the frame. There is
> enough play in the linkage to be flexible around
> most curves. For tight curves the brakes could be
> hung from the truck.
>
> I was able to locate photo of the arrangement on
> North Pacific Coast "Sonoma". Here is a link to
> the image: Sonoma Brake Hanger
> According to the Spec for "Sonoma" and sisters,
> the tenders were only delivered with brakes on a
> single truck (rear).
>
> Sadly I do not have the drawing for the brake
> heads to verify if that is the correct head or
> not, but it looks the part. I will see if I can
> get a hold of Craig Hoefer who did the header
> artwork on PacificNG, he has drawn most of the
> 8-18C Plan 4 locomotive in CAD.
>
> Bob: Are you building a specific locomotive? Do
> you have the spec for it?

Andrew you are a prince among men! Thank you so much! That photo is exactly what I needed.

Since I know the diameter of the tread, I can scale the rest "close enough" (as close as sand casting would have been). The drawing I have ("July 76") shows an ear at each end of the shoe casting, but I suspect that there was some variability from the drawings. [Send me a PM for a copy.]

As you mention, (based on the Baldwin/DeGolyer order books) a single brake beam per truck is probably correct for both Sonoma and Eureka.

However, I think (not 100% sure yet) that the D&RG 4-4-0's were all ordered with Westinghouse air brakes, so they may have had a different brake arrangement on the tender. James may be able to help here. I tried to look at the pictures in the Dorman collection, but discovered that that will be a project that will require some time! The tender-mounted air tanks are obvious. Shall I post what I discover?

Thank you for contacting Craig Hoffer! The drawing at the top of the PacificNG.com site is beautiful. If I had had a large format copy of that drawing, I would not have had to ask the question at the top of this thread.

I am trying to do a set of plans that are as close as possible to the Baldwin and CSRRM drawings. There will have to be a few adjustments to work on 7.5" track (2.5" scale) but I am trying to follow the prototype as closely as feasible.

Eventually, (after a trial model is running) I hope to offer plans and castings. (The owner of the foundry is as excited as I am!) I hope to allow the builder to select either bronze bushings (per prototype) or needle bearings (for less maintenance) and it should be easy--just like Baldwin did--to build his/her locomotive with or without airbrakes, with a Radley-Hunter stack, a diamond or a tapered stack (like the Fulton County Narrow Gauge #1). Eventually, perhaps, there could be a variety of accessories--injectors, air pumps, brake parts, lubricators--depending on the prototype and date that the builder picks.

In response to your last question, mine probably will be lettered for an as-yet-unnamed pike. If that track is as much a mountain railroad as I anticipate, I will have to use airbrakes a la D&RG. In other respects, the locomotive will probably be similar to the Sonoma or Eureka, with the 1875 North Pacific Coast #9, (Lake & Gold, Style 27) as a possible pattern, also.

If you know of anyone who wants to build a "Beta test model," please let me know--but at this point I am only about 1/2 way through the drawings.

Please let me know what you think. I value the input of experts such as yourself and Curtis Farrington, Jim Wilke, David Fletcher and others on this forum. I am trying not to pester Dan Markoff any more than necessary. This project would also be impossible without the wonderful assistance of the kind and knowledgeable guys at The Home Machinist Forum. And my partner is Richard Benton--a.k.a. "Richard the Hoghead"--whose career in 12":1' live steam makes him the target of my phone calls all too frequently.

I solicit advice. I hope that I do not have to pester this forum too often, and I hope y'all will be patient with me. I have bitten off a big chew!

In closing, as my grandfather would have said, "Much obliged!"

Bob Williams
of Benton & Williams' Baldwin Locomotive Works .208333

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2014 06:37PM by RCW.
Subject Author Posted

Help, please -- with Baldwin 8-18C lokes. Attachments

RCW June 21, 2014 06:55PM

Andrew Brandon June 25, 2014 10:49AM

RCW June 26, 2014 03:20PM

GeorgeGaskill June 26, 2014 06:45PM

Andrew Brandon June 27, 2014 02:03PM

RCW June 28, 2014 06:31PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login