Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another progress report

John Chama reporter West
May 18, 2000 08:26AM
News from Chama.....
The first complete run across the railroad by a steam engine was made on Tuesday, when the 463 pulled an inspection train for the FRA from Chama to Antonito. It will take a few days for the FRA to complete their final report, but preliminary indications are that the inspection went fairly well. The FRA inspection was an important milestone in ensuring the C&TS is a safe railroad.
As of today, the 463 and 489 are under steam. Bob Wright hopes to have a fire in 487 (in Antonito) on Monday. The next engine will be the 497, which needs to have its drivers and running gear reinstalled.
Max is making good headway in making the track repairs essential before opening day. He and his hard working crew started in Chama and are working their way to Antonito. Right now they are working near Toltec siding.
The railroad is gearing up for the track rehabilitation that will start this summer using EDA grant funds. Paper work is flying, Bill Collins the project manager-designate for the EDA work is on site, and the EBT hoppers should arrive next week. A major initial challenge will be doing the substantial work necessary to restore the EBT cars to roadable condition. If there are any experienced car repair folks looking for a month or two's work, give Ed a call.
Gerald is working to ensure we have adequate fire fighting capability, given the high fire danger in this part of the world. Repairs were being made yesterday to fix leaks in the tank car, and ensure the pumps and plumbing are all in order. His crews are also doing running gear repairs to the passenger cars.
And last but far from least, the Friends' volunteers are hard at work doing essential repairs to passenger car roofs, seats, doors, windows, and paint. They can't rehabilitate the entire fleet in two weeks, but with additional work scheduled for the regular work sessions, by the end of the year substantial progress should be possible.
Keep in mind that these reports are entirely unofficial, as is this entire discussion group. While Don and I are active Friends members, and I am an officer of the RGRPC, we created and participate in this discussion group as purely as individuals. I know how much I used to enjoy getting on the spot info from Earl and others, and I'm just trying the return the favor now.
Subject Author Posted

Another progress report

John Chama reporter West May 18, 2000 08:26AM

Re: Another progress report

Chile John Pritchard May 18, 2000 09:47AM

Thanks for the Update John (nm)

Roger Hogan May 18, 2000 10:00AM

Les Clark May 18, 2000 06:32PM

Tom Kneib May 18, 2000 08:05PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.