Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Snowplow Brackets and Logistics

April 15, 2000 04:05PM
Hi, Wade:
Thanks for the information. I would not argue any of your points, and I was somewhat surprised by the lack of brackets on as many of the 490's as I found this morning.
The brackets I refer to are the ones mounted, bolted, onto the sides of the smokebox, angled in such a way as to meet the steel rod coming up from the rear corners of the pilot mounted plows. These brackets are very easy to see in pictures from either side if an engine has them. Once holes were drilled to install the brackets it is unsusual to see them filled flush. The only examples I know of where this happened were to #476 and maybe #478, late in their years of service on "The Silverton". There would be no way to install the plows without the brackets, and it seems unlikely that the brackets would be removed if there was a chance a plow may need to be installed again.
Anyway, that's how I made the list I did this morning, using as sources Volumes 1 and 11 of the Grandt pictorials on D&RGW motive power. Probably half of the engines listed were not pictured with plows, but did show brackets, which would be an indicator that plows may have been installed at one time or other.
Naturally, one of my creeds in life is never say never, but if any of the other engines had plows I would be somewhat surprised after what I saw this morning....
On the C&S, only some engines were fitted with wedge plows each year, and these were always engines used as road engines and lead helpers during the winter months. Others were used as mid train or second helpers. Following the same logic, it is likely that each year only certain engines were fitted with wedge plows on the D&RGW each winter, too. Certainly there were at any time only a limited number of plows available for use. Far fewer than the number of engines available for service, anyway.
Mike
Subject Author Posted

Snowplows on D&RGW locos

Bill Malin April 15, 2000 03:38AM

Snowplow Poop

Mike Trent April 15, 2000 06:46AM

Re: Snowplow Poop

Bill Malin April 15, 2000 11:38AM

Re: More Snowplow

Wade Hall April 15, 2000 11:51AM

Re: Some corrections

Wade Hall April 15, 2000 12:34PM

Snowplow Brackets and Logistics

Mike Trent April 15, 2000 04:05PM

Re: More variables

Wade Hall April 15, 2000 04:37PM

Re: More variables

Mike Trent April 15, 2000 06:42PM

Never say never

John West April 15, 2000 07:00PM

Snowplows - More Variables?

Stevo del Applegato April 16, 2000 06:19AM

Re: More Snowplow

Jerry Day April 23, 2000 08:34PM

Re: Snowplow Poop

mark czerwinski April 17, 2000 12:55PM

Re: Snowplows on D&RGW locos

jeff Smith April 19, 2000 10:25PM

Re: Snowplows on D&RGW locos

Jerry Day April 23, 2000 08:41PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.