Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Passenger Train on the Georgetown Loop RR

October 22, 2018 04:40PM
Hello All,

This past Saturday myself and two other members of the C&S Railway Society were in Silver Plume volunteering on C&S caboose #1006. At the end of the workday, we decided to hop on board the last train of the day at the Silver Plume terminal of the GLRR. We had been tipped off that 2-8-0 #111 would be pulling a unique consist back to Plume at the end of the day, and wanted to be on hand to witness this unique event.

We were lucky enough to be offered seldom empty seats (there was only one open table) in the very comfortable Presidential Car the "Waldorf" (formally the Hinnman) and treated to a complimentary plate of snacks. The "Waldorf" coach rides incredibly smooth, and features flickering LED lights to simulate candle illumination.

The winter/Christmas consist for the Loop has evolved over the years to become a mix of both the Parlor Cars (former White Pass coaches) and several enclosed & heated Excursion Cars. The consist order is as follows: From west to east: Excursion Car #3 "Silver Plume", Excursion Car #3748, Excursion Car #1116, Parlor Car #282, Parlor Car #228, Parlor Car #284, Car #100 "Waldorf".

A public photograph appropriated from Facebook shows this consist (photo credit goes to John Norton).
WinterConsist.jpg

The railroad is offering a new Haunted Mine Adventure on Friday & Saturday nights during the month of October, and these departures (like all winter trains) depart from the Devils Gate Terminal. Only the three excursion cars are required for the Haunted Mine Train, so the remainder of the train could be taken back to Silver Plume for the night. Diesel locomotive #1934, coupled to the east (downhill) end, handled the entire consist down hill to Devils Gate, with #111 following light. Once the train reached the Devils Gate terminal, the passengers disembarked and the car attendants began the process of cleaning each of the coaches to prep the train for the next day. Conductor Tim Homack lined the west switch at Devils Gate to allow #111 to pull into the passing siding. Engine crew on the #111 was Phil Johnson (E) and Mike Ramsey (F). Engineer on diesel #1934 was Will Gant.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Once all passengers were off the train, the three excursion cars were tied down on the main, and diesel #1934 uncoupled the train from the standing Excursion Cars, and guided the train past the east switch at Devils Gate. The train was then shoved west to couple up with the waiting #111 on the passing siding. Once the train was coupled to #111, the diesel was cut off and re-coupled to the excursion cars on the main. After #1934 was cut off, an Initial Terminal Air Brake Test was performed on the passenger consist to ensure proper operation of the air brake system. The only passengers on this deadhead move were the Car Attendants, Conductor, and the three of us riding on the rear platform of the Waldorf. Phil whistled off, and we proceeded out of the passing siding onto the main.

5.jpg

All of this was happening after 5pm, which at this time of year is semi-dusk in the mountains. My photographs do not do justice to the experience, but I did manage to snag a shot as we crossed High Bridge, which I will include in the next message...

-Shane
Subject Author Posted

Passenger Train on the Georgetown Loop RR Attachments

Shane Schabow October 22, 2018 04:40PM

Passenger Train on the Georgetown Loop RR - Part 2 Attachments

Shane Schabow October 22, 2018 04:55PM

Re: Passenger Train on the Georgetown Loop RR - Part 2

Sharrod October 24, 2018 09:10AM

tomc October 24, 2018 10:01AM

Chris Walker October 24, 2018 06:50PM

Re: Passenger Train on the Georgetown Loop RR

bcp October 22, 2018 06:45PM

Will Gant October 22, 2018 08:57PM

Earl October 22, 2018 11:06PM

Will Gant October 23, 2018 03:28PM

Re: Passenger Train on the Georgetown Loop RR Attachments

drgw0579 October 22, 2018 07:18PM

Re: They missed last train of season on Georgianatown Loop-de-Loop?

Johnson Barr October 25, 2018 01:13PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login