Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fire Fighting Choppers

June 18, 2018 03:04PM
I know many of you do not do Facebook, I just posted this on my Facebook page. If you want to see more of the photos I shot this morning, they are there,

Billings Flight Services of Billings, Montana has four CH47 Chinook helicopters in Durango fighting the 416 fire.
[billingsflyingservice.com]

This morning, Mike Strasser, one of the pilots, and his wife Stefan gave me a tour of their operations at the Durango Air Port. Mike is also an incredible artist and he and Stefan produce a line of aviation comic books and other aviation goodies. Take a look, some pretty cool stuff.
[www.chickenwingscomics.com]

The CH47 Chinook helicopter was originally built for the military both the US military and our allies by Boeing-Vertol. One of the Billing's CH47s was acquired from the Australian Air Force. All the Billing's CH47s have been upgraded with more powerful jet engines, up-to-date electronics and brought up same standards as new CH47s.
Billings uses two systems for fighting fires, a traditional water bucket that is very useful for dropping a lot of water on a small area. They also use a siphon and tank system where the helicopter siphons water from ponds, lakes, etc. into a large tank inside the CH47, the same siphon tubes are used to drop large amounts of water on the fire. What a bunch of great folks who are doing a very dangerous job to protect us from fires. Thanks guys for saving Durango.

_7504102.jpg
_7504091.jpg
_7504081.jpg

Mike Strasser, one of the CH47 pilots and yours truly in front of the water bucket. It is larger than I thought.
_8500472.jpg

The bubble window gives the pilot great visibility in almost all directions.
_7504098.jpg
Subject Author Posted

Fire Fighting Choppers Attachments

Jerry474 June 18, 2018 03:04PM

Re: Fire Fighting Choppers

Roger Hogan June 18, 2018 03:55PM

Re: Fire Fighting Choppers Attachments

Jerry474 June 18, 2018 04:15PM

Holy COW!!

RichB June 18, 2018 06:11PM

Re: Fire Fighting Choppers

Samart June 18, 2018 04:14PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login