Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alton & Pacific *PIC*

October 11, 2001 01:58AM
I recently discovered a new narrow gauge line that still exists, in a neglected state, in California. For a while, it was billed as the only operating 24" gauge railroad on the West Coast.
The Alton & Pacific was operated from 1968 to 1989 by its owner and builder, Frank Bayliss. He got ahold of a 1935 wood-burning Orenstein & Koppel 0-4-0, outfitted it with a tender, built two passenger cars, two freight cars and a caboose (all with only two axles apiece) and set up a 3/4 mile ride on his property. He also operated a Plymouth engine and completed a two-truck passenger coach that was in rolling condition in 1990, but it never saw service because his line went out of business after that.
The tracks, buildings bridges and water towers all still exist. According to Harry Marnell, webmaster of the page I gleaned this info from, all the 2' gauge equipment is also still there, locked up. But Mr. Bayliss is gone and the land was sold to an outside investor who has no interest in the little train.
For further information, take a look at Mr. Marnell's website (link below). I've already contacted him to ask about the present condition of the equipment; he's pursuing this information right now and I'll post it if there's any to be found and he has no objections. It's a shame to think of that train just rotting away when it could be saved so easily. Or perhaps it's better off under cover and out of sight.
Does anyone else here know anything about the Alton & Pacific?
James R. Temple
Picture from the Wes Fulton collection.
Subject Author Posted

Alton & Pacific *PIC*

James R. Temple October 11, 2001 01:58AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.