Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: SV Ry 14 Question

September 23, 2001 11:54AM
The #14 rail car is described as having a Ford model T engine. As a former model T owner and enthusiast, this has kinda bugged me, because production of the model T automobile ended in early 1927. There was very limited production of model T engines for replacement or industrial purposes up till as I recall 1941. These were probably assembled at the factory from remaining machined blocks and parts. The "Vintage Ford" magazine did a story on this a few years ago. As the rail car was built in 1929, it seems much more likely that it would have had a Ford model A engine. Model A's were in production from late 27 to early 32. The model T engine put out a whopping 18 Hp, while the A engine was about 40. I'd be a little dubious that the 18 hp. engine could have pulled the rail car loaded with people and the trailer loaded with mail and parcels, etc. over the 4% grades on Dixie mtn. To make matters worse, rule of thumb for internal combustion engines is to deduct 3% hp. rating for each 1000' after the first 1000' above sea level. Dixie summit is 5280' which would mean a drop in hp. of nearly 13%.
Another point of curiosity is where the #14 came from. The RR had an outside framed consolidation #'d 14, so was the rail cars # based on speeder or MOW equipment #'s. Does anybody know what the earlier White powered rail car was #'d.
Subject Author Posted

SV Ry 14 Question

Dennis O'Berry September 22, 2001 09:49AM

Taylor Rush September 22, 2001 12:39PM

Dennis O'Berry September 22, 2001 02:23PM

J.B.Bane September 23, 2001 11:54AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.