Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Narrow Gauge

DvV
September 13, 2001 06:10PM
Returning to our topic of narrow gauge, I offer a small part of history on the GJ&S.
The Gainesville, Jefferson, & Southern (1872-1904)
The Gainesville, Jefferson, & Southern was incorporated on August 27, 1872 (4). However, the line became more than a dream when it was reported in the October 1st 1881 issue of "Railroad Gazette" that grading contracts for the line between the namesakes were awarded to Sampson Mooney and C.M.C. Blackstone, both of Gainesville.
Since many of the dates that I could find were the dates of "Railroad Gazette". I will present a chart with an (r) after the date when it is an issue date and not an exact date:
1879 July 18r - Almost enough money on hand to purchase grade. Negotiation under way with Georgia Railroad for aid.
1881 Oct. 1r - Grading contracts issued.
1882 Mar. 31r - The first 18 miles of track were laid south from Gainesville and it was planned that track would be to Jug Tavern, a distance of 25 miles from Gainesville, by June.
1882 July 14r - The grade to Jug Tavern was finished and a branch to Monroe was likely.
1882 Dec. 24r - The grade to Jefferson was completed. The line to Monroe was located for 12 miles, leaving 5 miles to finish. If the line was built, the line would interchange with the Walton Railroad.
1883 Feb. 2r - The capital for the Athens branch was raised.
1883 Apr. 13r - Three routes from Jug Tavern to Athens had been surveyed.
1883 Apr. 27r - The first 17 miles of line from Gainesville to Hochston were put into operation. The Jefferson branch was operating as far as the South Oconee River and was largely complete to Jefferson, 10 miles from Florence Junction (which is 10 miles from Gainesville). Progress was being made on the Monroe branch and negotiations were pending for the extension to Athens.
1883 May 4r - The last of the $240,000 7% bonds were sold.
1883 May 18r - The Georgia Road said that they would buy the GJ&S if the line was completed in one year.
Subject Author Posted

Narrow Gauge

DvV September 13, 2001 06:10PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.