Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Historic Preservation Fee

January 27, 2012 09:10AM
First, There is constant debate over whether fees should be listed separately or included in a general charge. In 1998, ticket prices on the D&S were raised, with part of the explanation being that $3 of the increase was to fund the newly opened museum. But, the $3 was not listed as a separate item. The Historic Preservation Fee is stated separately. (Personally, I'd mention it in the original ticket price.)

Second, reasons and sentiments for passengers riding the D&S vary greatly. Over my half-dozen years working for the D&S in the museum, I have talked with thousands of visitors. It is a great oversimplification to categorize all of them as railfans or non-railfans. A large number, probably the vast majority, are interested in riding a historic railroad through a beautiful part of Colorado, but would not want to do it more than just a few times. These people do not care what color the boiler was in 1929, nor the number of bolts in the boiler, nor who the engineer was on that train. However, they like railroads, especially a coal-fired steam railroad, and want to ride one.

Third, they do not really care a great deal about revenues and costs. Yes, one of the commonest questions we're asked in the museum is, "Does the railroad make money?". However, this is more a passing curiosity question than an investigative inquiry. With a smile, my own answer is, "The company does not release public financial records. I'm sure their CPAs know and I hope the IRS knows, but I don't." That answer has always been enough. I may add that there certainly is a huge expense to running the railroad and give a few examples of costs, but that is all.

Now, what do these riders think of a Historic Preservation Fee? I believe that many passengers like the idea that some money is deliberately set aside for historic preservation. Of course, I believe that the entire operation is a wonderful example of historic preservation, but there are always a few cynics lurking behind every pile of ties. Pointing out this fee separately lets people feel good about their contribution to historic preservation, while they are enjoying a fantastic trip for themselves and allowing future generations to have the same experience.
Subject Author Posted

Historic Preservation Fee

bill ramaley January 27, 2012 09:10AM

Marketing Historic Preservation As a Product

Ron Keagle January 27, 2012 09:20AM

Re: Historic Preservation Fee

Taylor Rush January 27, 2012 12:42PM

KevinM January 27, 2012 06:16PM

Steve Forney January 27, 2012 07:39PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login