Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Bundy's Greatest Challenge. My Thanks

August 24, 2001 12:19AM
I think that your suggestion is great but I don't think that such a trip would be ever eventuate again.
Bundy's Great Adventure was truly a once only event.
You may be interested to know that "Bundy" runs every Sunday at the Australian Narrow Gauge Railway Museum Society's (ANGRMS) grounds and that is probably the closest any one will ever come to riding this loco. See: ANGRMS website [www.angrms.org.au] for more info and pics.
The journey and the film presented some very difficult logistical problems with legal and safety issues to be overcome before we started the journey.
Planning took almost 2 years!
The narrow gauge tracks belong to a myriad of different sugar mills and farmers co-operatives and permission had to be sought from each one before we commenced.
Also, the only time that the tracks are guaranteed to be operable (not torn-up for maintenance) was smack in the middle of the cane crushing season when the tracks are busy with diesels pulling their huge loads of cane to the mills. And they work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!
We had to work around them. This lead to many lay-overs and shuntings into small side tracks. Very frustrating and costly when you have 10 people sitting around.
Another obstacle to running "Bundy" again was the cost. To insure Bundy for 4 weeks cost US$13,000 alone as Bundy's nominal value is US$500,000 to replace. Add to that third party property and personal insurance, trucking and crane costs to move the loco and 2 carriages between some of the mill areas not connected and you have an expensive nightmare.
-----------------------------------------------
Visit the Bundy Page and order your own copy of the video at: www.gullivermedia.com.au/bundyweb/bundy.htm
------------------------------------------------
Larry
Subject Author Posted

Bundy's Greatest Challenge

Roger Cutter August 22, 2001 09:53PM

Re: Bundy's Greatest Challenge. My Thanks *PIC*

Larry August 23, 2001 02:47AM

Roger Cutter August 23, 2001 10:33PM

Larry August 24, 2001 12:19AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.