Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smelter Skelter!

July 25, 2001 08:35PM
I just read the story in Westword (see cover story tomorrow at: www.westword.com ) and wanted to post my opinion before anyone else.
This is about Richard "Bo" Boulware's archaeological discovery of 1880's Saxonia along the old Denver South Park & Pacific line on the North Fork of the South Platte River. It is a good article that sheds as much light about the persona of Boulware as it does on the site of the quickly abandoned smelter at Saxonia. Sure, Bo loves to cause trouble, but he has a knack of "digging" out the truth.
I feel sorry for him in having to deal with the politicians (of both extremes) that are mentioned along with the Forest Service. And I really doubt that this will become much of a tourist destination and question the "teasing talk" of artifacts to be discovered. But it sure is an interesting discovery especially for this day and age. A good point is that my highly respected acquaintance Tom Noel lends some historical credence to the whole story.
Early in the piece it says that mines were located near the Platte Canyon, but later it says that lead ore was brought in from the Fairplay area. This portion of the DSP&P was not located in the "mineral belt" and all holes in the ground were dismal failures (I'm a Geoscientist). That is about the only historical inaccuracy that I could see.
All in all it is a very good story - please read it. And there is a great charactature of Bo!
Subject Author Posted

Smelter Skelter!

Sam March July 25, 2001 08:35PM

Great story

Roger Hogan July 25, 2001 10:38PM

Saxonia clarification

Richard Boulware July 26, 2001 07:28AM

Re: Saxonia clarification

Mik July 26, 2001 09:49AM

Re: Saxonia clarification

Richard Boulware July 26, 2001 11:29AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.