Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Goose #4 in Ridgway, not currently in Telluride?

June 04, 2008 05:36AM
Sorry, but I have to disagree with that statement. In fact, it is rather long sighted that they would make the choice to leave the goose as it was. I noted in earlier posts that others were able to examine goose 4 and see how things were really done in '52.

Unless I'm mistaken, Knotts changed the engine out of their goose to a diesel in order to make it reliable. Goose 5 has parts from 3, 5 and who knows what else to get it's old engine running. CRRM has been working on their geese and have completely redone everything about them. There are just too many parts that have to be replaced to keep them running. So all this hand wringing is because only 5 of the 6 existing geese will be running in the forseable future?

The Air Force has an interesting policy at their museums. All aircraft owned by the Air Force Museum are disabled. Gauges are removed, Batteries removed and Hydraulic systems drained. This is so the aircraft can't be flown. See, they know the Air Force is populated by a large number of pilots who would love to fly the last whatever in existance. Unfortunately, flying them requires lots of parts to be working, and exposes these priceless treasures to the risk of crashing. The Museum is bound and determined to have the last original copy of each aircraft the Air Force has owned.

So maybe someone should have the last Galloping Goose stuffed and mounted, so it will always be there.

Just my $.02
Phil Hackman
'
Subject Author Posted

Goose #4 in Ridgway, not currently in Telluride?

superfleet June 02, 2008 12:01PM

Jeff Badger June 02, 2008 12:16PM

Jeff Taylor June 02, 2008 01:06PM

Mike Stillwell June 02, 2008 02:09PM

Herb Kelsey June 04, 2008 02:28AM

El Nehi June 04, 2008 05:36AM

Mike Stillwell June 04, 2008 07:08AM

Herb Kelsey June 05, 2008 01:14AM

dcsunderland June 05, 2008 10:15AM

Re: Goose #4 in Ridgway, not currently in Telluride? Attachments

Bill Pratt June 08, 2008 08:51PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login