Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

locomotive construction - living museum

Doug vV
June 22, 2001 08:02PM
Hi,
With interest in another thread concerning how locomotives are constructed, I figured I'd mention Glover Machine Works. If I have any details wrong (I can not find my newspaper clippings), please correct the errors.
Glover was/is a machine shop they purchased in 1888 and according to one source was disolved in 1994 and to another source was moved to Albany, GA. The machine shop constructed some 200 locomotives between 1902 and 1930.
The Marietta plant was razed in 1995 and the last Glover loco was shipped at that time (it was never delivered to the party that ordered it).
I saw the shop in about 1990 and there was a 3' gauge 2-6-0 that was cosmetically restored with Glover assistance and put on display near the Marietta town square. An 0-4-0T (3' gauge) was also in the building (delivered just before the building was razed in 1995).
As I understand it, most of the patterns ever used by Glover can still be used. All railroad related documents, photos (builder's photos), patterns, plans, sales receipts, repair orders, and the 0-4-0T are slated to be put together for use.
If I recall the newspaper stories and other info correctly, the Glover collection will be housed in an enlarged building next to and part of the display with the W&A General in Kennesaw, GA. However, in association with the University System of Georgia (I think) the plans and patterns will be used to rebuild the 0-4-0T to operation. I believe there will be classes that you can sign up for.
Once the 0-4-0T is working (estimated to take 2-3 years), it is strongly felt but not committed to building a new loco with the Glover items to show locomotive construction.
I believe the ground breaking for the building for the shop and archiving and display of the Glover collection occurred in May, 2001.
This does not show how Cooke or Baldwin or Grant or Alco built locomotives, but it tries to preserve the older industrial steam locomotive construction technology.
Doug
Subject Author Posted

locomotive construction - living museum

Doug vV June 22, 2001 08:02PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.