Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: NG Interchange U&N/South Park

May 31, 2001 07:39AM
To ask what the logic is behind the operating of 3' gauge cars on a Broad Gauge route, you are asking the wrong guy. I would imagine that it was because, according to other sources, the fact that much of the items shipped to Pocatello originated on the South Park, like the Gunnison Area Coal. I am unaware of any minerals that were shipped to Poca. I am wondering if any of the items mined on the U&N were shipped to smelters at Argo or Black Hawk. Since a lot of the records were destroyed it seems a logical trade.
As for the South Park footing the bill for the "improvements". I'm sure that a portion of the revenue made was credited to the South Park, just like a portion was credited to the U&N and the Lions Share to the UP for the trip from Denver to Ogden or Poca.
Remember, the UP at that time was operating under the restrictions of the original Pacific Railroad Act and there were a lot of bizarre things in that bill that prevented the UP from operating in the same manner as their competition. This is why you have to grudgingly admire the job that Jay Gould was able to do under these restrictions.
The South Park and U&N were also somewhat lucrative back then and better able to absorb the costs under the UP corporate umbrella, although to read the annual reports, you'd think that they both had one foot in the grave.
At least the UP was trying to generate revenue within its system. From the time that the CB&Q bought the C&S their main intention was to starve and scrap the 3' gauge. It took them 30 years but they got the job done.
Creative accounting? Yes, unusual? No. They still do it today.
Rick
Subject Author Posted

Re: NG Interchange U&N/South Park

Rick Steele May 31, 2001 07:39AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.