Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Gas prices & ridership

May 28, 2001 08:29AM
We did some thinking about this issue, and came to the conclusion that the price of gas is still not high enough to discourage most vacation travel. We might not like the higher prices but it isn't going to stop most. Here's why.
(1) Americans are in love with automobile and this isn't going to stop anytime soon. Up until recently the cost of a barrell or oil was only about $12.00, thus it has been cheap for a lot of years, and led to the blitz of all the SUV's in the country.
(2) Say you are going on a trip where you will use 100 gallons of fuel. For the sake of argument lets say that last year it cost $1.50 per gallon. So this year lets say it cost you $2.00 per gallon. The total extra cost for your trip will be a measly $50.00. As I said I don't think this is going to stop most folks. What they need to worry more about is the rising cost of lodging. Gone are the days of Days Inns for cheap(8 days Inn originally, since the cost was $8.00), or Motel 6 ($6.00), or Super 8($8.00 again). I'm still used to those $29.95-$39.95 Red Roof Inns and such, and today they can be $60.00-$70.00. Of course steam meccas like Chama and Durango can be way more. Therefore the extra
gas to whole multiple humans for an extra $50.00 is not a big factor, especially if the results is a good day of STEAM!
Happy Memorial Day.
Greg Scholl
PS Somebody post a report and images from the opening weekend of C&TS, and Sumpter, or others!
Subject Author Posted

Re: Gas prices & ridership

Greg Scholl May 28, 2001 08:29AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.